This part of the WOL is dedicated to giving you some very basic information on loneliness. It is not meant to be scholarly research or a comprehensive overview of the topic. But we hope that it will give you some greater insight into the topic of loneliness. We will give ideas of what of persons (both academic and non-academic) have thought about loneliness and some of the research that was done on loneliness. Click on the topics below to get more information:
- What is loneliness?
- Loneliness definitions - A comprehensive collection of definitions from both scholarly sources as well as visitors to the site
- Causes of loneliness - Where does loneliness come from? Why do we feel lonely? Find out more.
- Types of loneliness - Do you know there are different types of loneliness? Read more.
- Feelings of loneliness - After conducting a review of 180 loneliness poems, we came up with themes that were central to these poems. Read more about these themes and their relation to loneliness.
- Coping with loneliness - What are some positive and negative ways of coping with loneliness.
- Dealing with loneliness - Read more about the different ways that people deal with their feelings of loneliness.